Grey hair is hot right now with the younger generation. Somehow that doesn’t sit right for me. Being a recently transitioned to grey hair woman, I resent the fact that girls in their twenties are spending hours and hours in the hair salon, trying to get what nature has given me naturally.
Whom am I kidding? I think it is awesome!
For once, I am on the easy side of being in fashion and maybe, I dare say, trendy.
However, one of the things I have noticed after letting my hair go gray was that none of my old wardrobe seemed to look good on me anymore. I had tons of clothes on the beige/brown spectrum. Wearing those shades most definitely made me look older and frumpier now that I had let my hair go gray.
So I reached out to Jill Kirsh, the colour guru, for some help and tips. And I thought I would share them with you today.
But before we begin, let me introduce you and tell you a bit about Jill Kirsh.
Jill Kirsh is a color expert and Hollywood’s Guru of Hue. Her unique color system has been the talk of the fashion world for the past ten years. She’s been featured several times in InStyle Magazine, Life & Style Weekly, Inc.magazine, E!News Online, Backstage, RedBook, the Los Angeles Times and on every major network and numerous local news affiliates including HGTV, Hallmark and Soapnet, plus myriad websites like AOL, BeautyRiot, Shopafrolic and more. She was named Best Color Consultant in the Best of LA issue of Los Angeles magazine and is frequently called upon by Red Carpet celebs, Grammy winning musicians and titans of business for color coaching. In addition, Jill is featured as the Color Expert on the IPad App for the hit movie Divergent. You can find her at Jill Kirsh Color.
If you aren’t convinced that colour makes a difference, or that Jill knows her stuff, check out this post on E News!
Here is visual proof that colour does make a difference. Just look at these before and after photos! Can you see how the colours on the right makes the models look younger and more vibrant. Read on for your best fashion choices for your grey hair.
The Best Style Choices For Gray Hair
- Avoid mustard, olive green, camel and rust. These colours tend to make you look like you have jaundice and no one wants that! Instead wear mint, lavender, rose red and taupe, especially close to your face as well as in your makeup choices. The easiest way to choose your fashion colours is to keep in mind that grey hair is enhanced and highlighted by jewel toned colours. Think of your favourite gems ladies. If you stick to those hues, you will look younger and more vibrant.
- Don’t wear yellow or gold jewelry. For the same reasons as above it is best to stay away from anything that will make your skin look older and sallow. You want your jewelry to give you sparkle and accentuate your fabulous grey hair. Choose white gold, silver and platinum instead.
- Stay away from amber, coral or yellow topaz. Those are cheap stones anyway and your amazing midlife self deserves the best. Your jewels are emeralds, rubies, amethysts, garnets, rose quartz and of course, diamonds. You can find all of these gems set in glorious white gold, silver, or platinum online at Diamondere, a custom fine jewelry retailer.You are a queen so go ahead and adorn yourself in luxury.
- Veto tortoise shell, tan or bronze eyeglass frames. Bring colour to your face and accent your silver locks with burgundy, steel blue or pewter eyeglasses choices.
- Dismiss cinnamon brown handbags, boots, wallets, belts and other accessories. Go for pink or white in the summer and wine coloured leather accessories in the winter. These colours will look great with your grey hair and make even the most boring outfit more fun and youthful.
***NOTE: The above tips are for grey, silver or white hair ladies only. Check out this post for salt & pepper hair guidelines.***
How To Choose The Best Colors To Wear With Grey Hair
This post may contain affiliate links – which means if you click on them and buy something, I may earn a small commission. For full disclosure policy, click here.
Keep in mind that all of the above are suggestions and that some of the recommended options may not work for you. You may be able to wear some of the colours on the don’t list as well. Only you can decide that. Don’t be afraid to experiment and ask a friend for their opinion. You should also take selfies so that you can have an objective view of your colour choices and fashion decisions.
Of course, if you are anything like me, you need to be led by the hand and shown exactly what to wear. Good news! You don’t have to have your own personal stylist to be able to dress the best for your newly transitioned grey hair.
Jill Kirsh has designed a wallet size, customized swatch book that’s filled with pieces of fabric of all your best shades for your grey hair. You can use it as guide for shopping for everything from tees, shorts and nail color to party dresses, jewels and stilettos! In addition to these being all your best shades, every color in your swatch book coordinates with each other, so you can have a wardrobe that totally rocks. You can shop Target or Neiman’s, it doesn’t matter. It’s all about the hue!
Jill also has a line of makeup products that are mineral based and fragrance free. The makeup kits are pre-filled with all your best shades for the eyes, cheeks and lips, based on the colour of your hair. All the lip products, blush and shadows are paraben free. As well, all the products are cruelty free and are made in the USA. These shades blend beautifully with each other and compliment the hues in your swatch book.
For Jill’s whole line of products, including these beautiful scarves below, or to book a personal consultation, see her website at Jill Kirsh Color.
Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with me Jill, and I look forward to featuring you again soon.