Looking for some cute cupcake ideas to try out at home? If you are a Disney fan, you are going to love these Mickey Mouse Cupcakes!
I’ve wanted to try out some fun dessert ideas for a while and I love these Mickey Mouse-inspired cupcakes. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice, this cupcake recipe is fantastic. They are quite simple and easy to make, don’t require lots of equipment and are a fun activity to get the grandkids involved in – guaranteed to be a hit with all the family for birthdays, bake sales, celebrations or just because!
Printable recipe available at the bottom.
Mickey Mouse Inspired CupcakesThis post may contain affiliate links – which means if you click on them and buy something, I may earn a small commission. For full disclosure policy, click here.
- 1⅛ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ lbs (2½ packages) cream cheese, softened
- 12 tbsp (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Black food coloring
Directions For Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Line a cupcake tin with red cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and vinegar.
- In another small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and food coloring to make a paste.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy.
- Reduce the mixing speed to low, then add one third of the flour mixture, then one half of the egg and buttermilk mixture; alternating until flour and buttermilk is all combined into a batter.
- Scrape down the bowl, then add the cocoa paste and beat until just combined.
- Fill the individual cupcake tins about ¾ of the way. TIP: use a batter spoon for the perfect amount of batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer the cooked cupcakes to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Directions For Frosting
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add black food coloring until the frosting is black; about a tablespoon and a half..
How To Decorate
- Fill a piping bag with frosting. Use the tip if your choice (round or star tips work best), frost the cupcake by making a circle from the outside to the inside, swirling the icing into a dome.
- Place two Mini Oreo cookies on the sides for ears and sprinkle the top of the cupcakes with sprinkles.