Can I just say I love the McDonald’s Sausage McGriddle!
Yes, I know it isn’t the healthiest of breakfasts but honestly, it gets so cold here in the winter that I just have to have something that will stick to my ribs, as my mother used to say.
Sad to say, but I’m not always able to make it to the restaurant by noon. Even though they serve breakfast all day now, the Sausage McGriddle is not on that list.
Plus, I love to eat breakfast anytime of day really.
So I was thrilled to find this copycat recipe of the Egg and Sausage McGriddle!
The best part is that with a few modifications, you can make this a much healthier breakfast for you too if you choose. Substitutions like egg whites only, turkey sausage and low calorie syrup will still give you all the flavour but not make you feel guilty for indulging.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Scroll down for your printable recipe card.
Copycat McDonald’s Egg and Sausage McGriddle
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time 30 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- 1/2 cup syrup
- 4 sausage patties
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Combine pancake mix with 1 cup of water until mixed completely. Place mason jar lid ring in skillet, bottom side down (open side of ring down), spray with oil and set heat to medium.
- Once medium heat is achieved, pour pancake batter in ring to halfway. Once bubbles start to form in ring (60 seconds), remove the ring using tongs. Flip pancake to cook on other side (60 seconds. Remove pancake. Repeat step 7 times or cook as many pancakes as you have room for.
- Using a kitchen syringe, medical syringe or flavour injector, inject syrup into pancakes once cooled. This step will mimic the flavour of a McGriddle pancake without burning the syrup while cooking the pancake.
- Cook the sausage patties on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Remove and top with cheese slices.
- Scramble eggs one eggs with a pinch of pepper. Cook on medium heat in skillet. Pour egg into skillet allowing it to fill the whole skillet. After 30 seconds, fold egg twice into itself. Then fold in half to fit sandwich.
- Assemble egg, sausage and cheese between two McGriddle pancakes and serve.