Summer is just around the corner, and if you are looking for a way to incorporate seasonal vegetables into your meals, this recipe is perfect! This Summer Vegetable and Chicken Skillet recipe only require one skillet to make, which makes this the ideal meal for easy cleanup!
If you are looking to incorporate a few healthier options into your meal plan this week, this Summer Vegetable and Chicken Skillet is a great option! Skillet meals are a great way to add a little fun into your weekly meal plan, without having to worry about making a big mess!
This easy and healthy skillet recipe can be on your table in just a few minutes, and this family-friendly Italian dish is packed full of flavour and protein! You can serve it directly from your skillet, or add it to a pot of your favourite pasta!
This easy skillet meal incorporates all of the healthy and fun summer vegetables you’ll find at your local farmer’s market. The dash of the Italian season brings the whole dish together! While the ingredients in this dish might be relatively simple, this recipe packs a flavourful punch!
You can use up your summer garden vegetables, and it makes excellent leftovers! If you like to incorporate a lot of seasonal vegetables into your diet, chances are you have all of these ingredients sitting right in your fridge and pantry!
This meal would also be a great option to meal prep ahead of time for a quick and easy meal during busy summer nights! You can cut up the chicken and vegetables, then throw everything together in your skillet when you’re ready to cook!
While I recommend serving this dish over pasta, you could also serve it with rice or fresh bread to complete your meal or to make it more exciting as leftovers.
Easy Chicken Skillet Dinner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 zucchini, halved through the length and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 yellow summer squash, halved through the length and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cube the chicken.
- Mince the garlic.
- Dice the onion, zucchini, squash and pepper into 1 inch pieces.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Heat a large (12 inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Salt and pepper the chicken as desired.
- Cook the chicken in two batches in 1 tablespoon olive oil until browned on all sides and almost cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- To the skillet, add the remaining olive oil with the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and squash.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften slightly.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt to taste.
- Carefully toss the contents of the skillet as it will be full.
- Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked and the vegetables are at your desired tenderness.
- Garnish the dish with the quartered tomatoes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
The last thing I want to think about at the end of a busy day is: What's for dinner?
Stop wasting time, money and energy and start meal planning with this FREE Meal Planning Printable.