It can be so difficult when we don’t feel like happy in our own skin. This can happen when we start to be overstressed or overworked, when we start losing sleep and relying on quick fixes to solve our energy or mood issues.
When this happens, we can start to spiral pretty quickly. The good news is that the start of the year is always a good time to take some positive steps forward, and we have a few suggestions to help you feel more like yourself.
3 Changes To Make You Feel Better
Take Control Of Your Day
When you are feeling stressed and anxious, the days start to spiral away from you. With that in mind, think about creating a plan for your week, the more detailed the better.
- Make sure that you are getting out of bed early enough to shower and have breakfast before work.
- Sign in when you are supposed to and sign out on time every day to try and cut down on the chances of suffering from burnout.
- Avoid taking your work home with you where possible.
- Make sure you are giving yourself enough time for some activities that are just for you, whether that is watching a movie or going for a run.
Be Happy In Your Appearance
When we talk about not feeling like ourselves, we are often talking about not feeling OK about how we look. If there are changes that you want to make, then the start of the year is the perfect time to think about putting those plans into practice.
- If you are unhappy with your weight, look at what changes you can make to your diet and think about starting a regular exercise routine.
- If you feel frumpy, treat yourself to new clothes that make you happy instead of wearing the same old items just because they are there. And new could mean “new to you” if you are on a budget. Swap with friends or shop consignment.
- If you don’t like what you see in the mirror, make a point of showering, getting dressed and putting on makeup more often. Lots of people are working from home now and don’t even bother doing those daily things they used to do when they had to actually go to work. Make an effort and it will boost your spirits.
- If you are worried about hair loss, find out what you can do to tackle the problem. This article on tips for hair loss prevention breaks down the causes of hair loss and what you can do to slow it down or reverse it. The Treatment Rooms in London have a wealth of resources to help you with your hair loss and can advise on whether a hair transplant treatment is the right choice for you.
Get Better Sleep
When you are not sleeping properly, you will notice that your mental health starts to suffer. You’ll also notice that your hair and skin start to tell the story of your restless nights too. This is one of the easiest ways to stop feeling like ourselves, so if you are struggling, like so many people in the UK have been, to get a decent night’s sleep on a regular basis, then it is time to do something about it.
You can start by looking at how much caffeine and alcohol you are drinking during the day and evening. Try to make sure that you stop looking at your screens at least an hour before you go to bed, and don’t take your phone into the bedroom with you. Studies have shown that scrolling through apps like TikTok can make it harder to fall asleep. Turn your bedroom into a peaceful, screen-free zone.
So much has changed in the last two years and while we may wish for things to get back to normal quickly, what we may actually be more anxious about, is making ourselves feel normal again. Try the above 3 tips and you will soon feel like your old self again.