Whether you are going through the transition of coloured hair to embracing your grey or you have already completely crossed over to silver fox, you want your hair to not only look great but feel great. And nothing gives you a bigger confidence boost or enforces your decision to transition to grey than getting compliments or inquiries about where you get your hair done.
Why, Mother Nature of course! (They don’t need to know all your secrets do they?)
But seriously, if you want super sleek silver hair, you have to treat it right. Follow these simple steps for more manageable, smooth gray hair.
How To Care For Grey Hair
This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may earn a commission should you choose to sign up for a program I recommend or make a purchase using my link. It’s okay – I love all of these products anyways, and you will too! To read my full disclosure and more boring legal stuff, click here.
1. Shampoo properly. By this, I mean that you should invest in a top quality shampoo that enhances your grey hair. Too many people simply pick something off the supermarket shelf and hope for the best, when what they really need is a shampoo that will take care of the special needs of grey hair. Grey hair dries out quickly and can become yellow and dull with the wrong products. Choose shampoos with no alcohol and if you find your hair tinting blue/purple (from the purple shampoo), alternate between a clarifying shampoo and a silver enhancing shampoo.
Best shampoo for natural grey hair: Matrix So Silver Shampoo
2. Condition deeply. Hair conditioners have a formulation that will add body and shine to your hair. You know how uncomfortable and scratchy clothes are if you don’t use a fabric conditioner? Well hair is the same. Also, a good conditioner will help to keep your hair static free, which will reduce frizziness even more. Massage the conditioner from root to tip and leave it to work its magic before rinsing thoroughly. This will make your hair look really healthy and shiny.
Best conditioner for grey fizzy hair: Seaweed Bath Co. Conditioner or Design Essentials Almond Butter Express Instant Moisturizing Conditioner.
3. Be gentle with your hair. Just like your skin, you hair changes as you age. Hair looses elasticity and can become very dry and brittle making it more prone to breakage. You need to use tools the will not damage your hair.
- Change your old paddle brush for a Boar Bristle Hair Brush. The natural bristles will grip your hair better, giving it a smoother look, plus distribute the oils from your scalp to the ends.
- Stop using cotton towels for drying your hair and get a Microfiber Turban.
- Sleep on a Natural Silk Pillowcase to prevent damage from tossing and turning as well as prevent moisture loss.
- Protect your hair with styling products that have heat protection, like HSI PROFESSIONAL Heat Hair Protector & Conditioner.
4. Dry your hair well. Modern hair dryers will not harm your hair as much as they used to, but if you are going to use a blow dryer to get your hair dry quickly, make sure you keep it moving over your hair and dry it evenly to avoid overheating. If you have the time, use the dryer on a cool setting to avoid damage.
Best hair dryer for gray hair: BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme Dryer.
5. Use a good Serum. There are a huge variety of great products around that are designed to smooth your hair. Most salons will be able to point you in the direction of a serum such as Frizz Ease that will help to keep your hair looking great. Generally hair serums work in three ways, by relaxing the hair, smoothing it, and reducing the potential for it to attract the static electricity that will cause it to frizz up.
6. Use good quality hair straighteners. Most people find that the cheaper hair straighteners do not do a very good job. You might find that they do not get hot enough to iron out the kinks properly on a single pass, and are not slippery enough to allow your hair to pass through them smoothly and quickly. Opt for ceramic or glass heating plates, and make sure that there is an adjustable temperature. GHD Ceramic Styling Straighteners are one of the most popular brands around and are commonly used in salons all around the world. Their plates get hot fast, and are extra smooth to make styling your hair easy. Ceramic plates will help discharge the static electricity from your hair too, and leave it looking straight for longer.
7. Eat well and drink plenty of water. Your hair is nourished by what you eat and drink, and will never look good if you don’t eat a balanced diet with lots of vitamins and minerals. Hair is mostly made of protein, so make sure your diet includes plenty. Drink water too, as this will flush impurities out of your body and keep you healthy.
Have you transitioned to gray hair? I love hearing your stories. Please share them in the comments.
If your closet is stuffed to the brim and you still feel like you have nothing to wear, this is for you!
Start creating your own capsule wardrobe today with this FREE printable checklist.