At 26, I married the then love of my life. He was charming and amazing and I was sure we would spend the rest of our lives together. I mean, isn’t that what marriage is all about? ‘Til death do us part?
Apparently, not so much. Well, it wasn’t for me and for millions of people around the world getting divorced.
Fast forward 30 some odd years, in and out of many relationships in that time, and here I am single again.
No love of my life. No Knight in shining armour. Just me and my new puppy.
But I gotta tell you, it’s pretty fucking sweet.
Don’t get me wrong, there are certainly days I wish I had a partner by my side. There are still some things I’d love to do with a companion. But for the most part, I’m pretty ridiculously happy.
There are many things, 25 to be exact, that make me happy being single over 50. Well, honestly, there are probably a million things but we’ll keep this short and sweet.
25 Things To Celebrate As A Single Woman Over 50
- I don’t have to answer to anyone ever. I can do my own thing how I want and when I want.
- I don’t have to cook dinner if I don’t want to. Fruit Loops for dinner? Why not?
- No one tells me how to train or raise my puppy.
- I have the whole fucking bed to myself and all the blankets every night.
- I can listen to really loud music whenever I want and not worry about disturbing anyone.
- I can plan trips and outings for things I want to do and not have to compromise.
- I don’t have to compromise. Ok that sounds selfish but I’m used to doing things my way now.
- I can work until Midnight if I feel like it and not have to listen to anyone complain about it.
- No awkward family dinners.
- No dealing with family members who hate me.
- No stupid arguments about stuff that doesn’t matter.
- I can decorate my apartment the way I want.
- I can up and move apartments when I want.
- I can up and move countries when I want.
- I don’t have to put up with your drunk friends.
- I don’t have to clean the apartment if I don’t feel like it.
- I don’t have to ask anyone’s opinion or advice about anything.
- I can go out with friends when I want and not have to report back.
- If I want to stay out all night and not go home I can and not have to worry about someone at home worrying about me.
- I can buy all the junk food I want and not have to share it.
- I can spend my money the way I want and buy things I want to without having to consult someone first.
- I can have parties when I want and invite whoever I want to.
- If I don’t feel like going somewhere I don’t have to.
- I don’t have to put up with temper tantrums or mood swings other than my own.
- I do this thing called whatever the fuck I want.
Now after reading this list you’re probably thinking ‘man this chick is selfish’ . To be honest, I kinda am. But for good reason.
All my life was spent making other people happy. In and out of horrific abusive relationships. I’ve not had one healthy relationship in my whole life.
I know. It’s pathetic. But it’s my own fault. I was a loser magnet because in my mind, I was a loser too.
I didn’t know how to love or treat myself with respect so because of this my relationships were toxic. All of them.
But in the last few years I’ve grown. I’ve learned to love who I am. Me myself and I, we’re pretty tight now. We’re finally comfortable in our own skin and we have a really solid and thick boundary line.
We’ve learned to not be treated like shit anymore and to wait for what we deserve. Yes, we understand compromise and sacrifice are two key things to a healthy relationship but we’ve compromised so much in the last 35+ years we stand pretty firm in who we are now.
I really do hope one day to find a nice man (who can put up with me) and share the rest of my life in true love bliss, but until then, I’m pretty fucking happy being single.
Peace and Love
xo iva xo
Create a life you love!
This FREE Mindful Planner has been designed to help you plan for your future, while still living in the moment and enjoying today with gratitude.